Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pizza

I made homemade pizza this morning for the first time ever. I made both the dough and sauce from scratch, grated the cheese, chopped the veggies and used a hot dog and a few pieces of turkey bacon for meat. And it was delicious!
When I was a kid, my mom would buy a prepackaged pizza making kit from Kraft, it had a little can of sauce, some grated parmesan cheese, a spice packet and a just add water packet of dough. My mom would make this about once a month; it was cheaper than ordering pizza for five. The year I was in college, we had a girl from South Korea stay with us over Christmas, the night before she left; we bought one of these kits and showed her how to make pizza. She was amazed; they did not have things like that in Seoul!  
Pizza has always been one of my favorites; just by picking different toppings you have a whole new meal. Some people say it is junk food, others will argue the meat and veggies are good for you.  Me? I am on the fence. If it were not for the processed salami, turkey bacon and hot dog, my pizza today might have been healthy as it was made with natural ingredients from scratch. That is the only reason I think pizza might be bad for you, it has a lot of processed meats and sauce. If you can get it homemade with fresh ingredients, then my argument is that it is good for you!
My dough recipe made enough for two, and since I am only one person I froze the second half until the weekend when I will have some company and try it again. I can’t wait to try it with a different topping combination! 


No comments:

Post a Comment