Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Peas

So today I went to Google to find something to write about, and I saw this picture.

The first thing I said was ‘cool’, because it is. I love peas, they are my favorite vegetable. But, I am picky in my peas. I like fresh or frozen, but not canned. I know canned veggies are supposed to be ‘picked at their peak of freshness’ blah etc, but I think they taste funny.
Last summer, I tried to plant peas in a pot on my windowsill in my apartment. I got a plant about 2 feet tall and about 5 pods. I was very impressed with myself. I also tried leaf lettuce, carrots and radishes. The carrots and radishes only grew to about the size of a bean sprout; but I got about 4 harvests out of the lettuce. Not enough for a full salad, but enough to stack onto a burger!
Back to the Google Doodle, it is actually honoring ‘The Father of Modern Genetics’ Gregor Mendel, who did genetic experiments on peas. Although he was criticized at the time, his work is now popular among geneticists. Today marks what would have been his 189th birthday, so Google has posted this doodle in his honor.
Happy Birthday, let’s eat peas!




COPYRIGHT 2011 T.K.Alexzander.

No comments:

Post a Comment